05 May 2006

Cruel

So I have to break my work schedule a little today. Have stuff to get done, contracted on probably more projects then I should be working on at once ( in my defense, I really seriously did not expect as many bids to be accepted as were ), but I need to take some time off this afternoon.

Reason is, I have to help move my grandmother from the room she is currently in at the nursing home my aunts and uncles dumped her in to a room in the Alzheimers ward in the same building. Apparently she has finally slipped into that final twilight of the mind and needs more supervision then before.

The part that gets me about it thought is that there is a specific time window this afternoon that it is being done in, during the time that she is out on a drive heading to a park or garden not far from the building. We are going in, moving her furniture from her current room to a different room and apparently she is not being told what is going on and will just casually be brought back to her new room with all of her stuff now in again as if nothing had changed.

Something about that just seems frighteningly disturbingly cruel. Plus, really freaky for her. Reminds me of that thing Stephen King wrote talking about the three levels of fear: gross out, horror and terror. Terror being when you come home and find out that everything you own, every personal possession you have, has been taken out of your home and replaced by an exact duplicate. Just have this feeling that if she wasn't already suffering from Alzheimer's that something like this could pretty well be the bit that pushed her over the edge.

I really hate the world some days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home